Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What's For Supper... Easy Enchiladas???



I subscribe to Southern Living and I try to make at least one recipe out of every issue. It helps me feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Any who, tonight I decided to make "Easy Enchiladas" because after all I needed something easy with my fifteen month old beneath my feet.

Notice the actual title of the article is "What's for Supper? Easy Enchiladas" I switched it up a bit for the title of this post based on the actual cooking of it. It probably is easy if you can cook without interruptions!

It was at about this moment that I decided to document my adventure this evening. There I was cooking away and Madison started screaming. I guess she just had nothing left to pull out of the cabinet. So I picked her up and strapped her in her highchair to play with pom poms and cups.

The pom poms did not last long in the highchair.

The view from my spot after giving her 1/2 a banana. All the basics... dog water bowl (she will flip it in a second), elmo sticker from the dentist yesterday that I peeled off the floor, sippy cup, and the stuff I was actually using to cook!

Finally the guts of the enchiladas were ready!


Once I assembled the dish I was trying to clean up before Jason walked in the door. The kitchen was a disaster and Madison just wanted me to hold her. It's hard to tell but I'm wearing a black button down top and navy workout shorts. I had on white capris, but upon the first stir of the enchilada mixture it splattered all over my pants. That's not something you just let sit so I had to run upstairs, spray them with Zout, and change into these shorts!

YUUUMMMMY! Looks just like the picture, right?


Was it worth the wait?? Madison thought so!



Here is the recipe:


Chicken-and-Green Chile Enchiladas
Prep: 20 minutes (It really might only take that long if you are alone)
Bake: 30 minutes
3 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken (I will for sure cook it ahead next time)
2/3 cup Onion and Garlic Mixture (see recipe below)
2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chiles
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
3 (10oz ) can s enchilada sauce, divided (I used 2 mild and one can hot)
2 cups (8oz) shredded Mexican four cheese blend, divided
8 (9 inch) burrito size flour tortillas (I only had room in my dish and enough mixture for 6)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stir together first 4 ingredients, 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce, and 1 cup cheese.
2. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; roll tortillas up, and place, seam side down, in a lightly greased 13X9 inch baking dish. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. (I added more than that!)
3. Bake, covered, at 425 degrees for 20 minutes; uncover and bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.


Onion-and-Garlic Mixture:
2 cups chopped onion (1 large onion)
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1. Saute onion in hot oil in a 3 1/2 qt saucepan over medium heat 8 minutes or until tender; add garlic, and saute 2 minutes.

I served with corn. Enjoy!

post signature