Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Big Day

I never thought I would be one for an induction. However, the last few weeks of my pregnancy were very painful and after a short discussion with my doctor - "Shelby.. would you like to be induced at 39 weeks?"  "Yes, please!"...an induction was scheduled.  One week to the day before my due date I reported to the hospital at 7 a.m.   (In the parking lot of the hospital... I forgot to get a photo at home!)



When I was pregnant with Madison I walked around most of my pregnancy saying that I would try to go as long as I could without any medication or an epidual. I was SHOCKED when I checked into the hospital and I heard my own voice say "yes, please" to the nurse when she asked me if I wanted an epidural right away. I had not even felt my first contraction and it was in.

This time as soon as I was in the hospital gown and in bed I asked the nurse when I could get my epidural.  I was delighted when she responded with "whenever you want it." I made sure it was clear that now would be good. She hooked me up to pitocin around 8 a.m. and I was on her about my epidural. Thankfully, I got it right after that. My nurse checked me at 11:30 a.m. and told me that I was 5 centimeters dialated. She said that it should move quickly after that. By noon I was hitting my epidural button and screaming in pain.. tears were running down my face. Something had gone terribly wrong.. I was feeling pain. Jason casually put his movie on pause and strolled over to the monitors. He informed me that I was not having a contraction.. I assured him with one quick glance that he was wrong. I hit the nurse call button...

I had dialated from a 5 to a 10 in 30 minutes. Three short pushes later we welcomed Tyler Carson Groff. All I kept saying to my OB after he was born was that I felt "so much better!"



Madison adores him..







We've already had a ton of visitors!

Jason's parents...


Tyler's great-grandmother...
Tyler's great-aunt

My mom...




my dad (aka Otie to his grandbabies.. and oh yes it's because his middle name is "Otis!")


my sister...

my niece



Oh Tyler... you are so loved!




post signature